The Audience Participation Games Project at Carnegie Mellon University is looking to hire a postdoctoral researcher. The project explores large-scale collaboration in gameplay, enabled by “crowd and cloud” technologies such as Twitch. If you are interested in game design, collaboration at scale, and/or rapid multiuser prototyping, then this project could be a great fit for you.
Example areas you might work in include:
- Collaboration and cooperation between strangers
- Drop-in / drop-out participation
- New models for asymmetric gameplay
- Improving the game-watching experience
- Or another project you propose related to the overall theme!
Salary for the position is $55,000 yearly, plus benefits.
The starting date is anytime between July 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016. The position runs through August 31st, 2018.
You will be working with faculty from both the HCI Institute and the Entertainment Technology Center at CMU. The supervising faculty are Jessica Hammer, Jeff Bigham, and Chris Klug.
We require the following:
- Strong communication skills.
- Leadership experience.
- Experience with games. If games are not your main research area, we would like to see evidence of your engagement with the field either as a player or as a designer.
- A doctorate degree.
You should also be skilled in one or more of the following areas:
- Game design and/or research, particularly around multiplayer games.
- Mixed-methods research, particularly running user studies and working with system logs.
- Technical development, particularly rapid prototyping and multi-user systems.
We’ll consider it a bonus if you have done one or more of the following:
- You have prototyped at least two games, either digital or analog.
- You have worked with Unity.
Application review begins June 15, 2016. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Application packages should include:
- A cover letter
- A one-page research statement
- Your CV
- Contact information for three recommenders
- If relevant, a technical or game design portfolio
Please send application packages to Justin Puglisi, jpuglisi [at] cs.cmu.edu.
- Pay Type
- Justin Puglisi jpuglisi [at] cs.cmu.edu